Texas Motor Vehicle Board
Rule Review Plan
Pursuant to the requirements of House Bill 1, Article IX, §167, ("§167"), the Motor Vehicle Board (Board) has completed an initial comprehensive review of its substantive and procedural rules which became final prior to September 1, 1997. The Motor Vehicle Board now establishes the following plan for the review of all Board rules pursuant to the Administrative Procedure Act, Texas Government Code, §2001.039, Agency Review of Existing Rules, and Senate Bill 178 (SB 178), §1.11(b) and (c) of Acts 1999, 76th Legislature, chapter 1499.
1. The Texas Administrative Code ("TAC") citation to each rule section to be reviewed shall be published in the section of the Texas Register devoted to agency rule review. The text of the rule will not be published.
2. The Board will accept comments within 20 days of publication of the TAC citation in the Texas Register, concerning the requirement as to whether the reason for adopting or readopting the rule continues to exist.
3. Following the 20-day comment period, if no changes are proposed by the Board to the rule section, the rule section will be placed on an open meeting agenda for discussion and consideration of readoption without changes.
4. If, as a result of the comments or Board initiative, there are proposed changes to the rule section, it will be readopted without changes, and then go through the amendment process pursuant to all rulemaking requirements in Chapter 2001, Government Code.
5. All rules previously reviewed pursuant to §167 will be reviewed in accordance with the requirements of SB 178 and Texas Government Code §2001.039, on the following schedule:
A 16 TAC Chapter 103 - June-July 2001
B. 16 TAC Chapter 101 - August-September 2001
C. 16 TAC Chapter 111 - January-March 2002
D. 16 TAC Chapter 107 - April-June 2002
E. 16 TAC Chapter 105 - August-September 2002
F. 16 TAC Chapter 109 - November -December 2002
All comments and/or questions should be directed to Brett Bray, Director, Motor Vehicle Division, Texas Department of Transportation, P.O. Box 2293, Austin, Texas, 78768-2293.