Texas Border and Mexican Affairs Division
One of the functions of the Secretary of State is to serve as the Governor's liaison for Texas Border and Mexican Affairs. In this capacity, the Secretary assists the Governor in addressing issues which involve our Texas-Mexico border and cross border affairs with Mexico.Some key Secretary's responsibilities include:
- Accompanying the Governor when meeting with Mexican officials
- Monitoring and advising the Governor's Office and other agencies on issues affecting Texas-Mexico relations
- Working with Mexican federal, state and local officials on issues affecting Texas, Mexico and the border region
- Representing the Governor at international meetings and in planning the Border Governors Conference
- Monitoring state and federal legislation on border issues
- Executive Order 98-01, designating the Texas Secretary of State's Office as the Chief Liaison for Texas Border and Mexican Affairs.