HAVA Grant Funds
Travel costs, including lodging and meals, can be paid from the County Education Fund in accordance with the HAVA grant award agreement between the state and the county. Please note that TEAM training travel expenses are eligible for reimbursement from the County’s HAVA Education and General HAVA fund. However, HAVA Funds are not available for any Jury Wheel courses. Information regarding the election training reimbursement process is available online.
Travel costs, including lodging and meals, may be paid from Chapter 19 Funds in accordance with the Texas Administrative Code, Title I, §81.23. Travel expenses incurred by the voter registrar and full-time permanent voter registration staffers to attend voter registration and/or election administration seminars and demonstrations that directly advance voter registration efforts. All travel (includes any travel advancement) requests must be submitted through the online VR Chapter 19 Expense system for each traveler. Please note the final accounting for any travel advancements must be submitted online within 30 days of completion of travel as Chapter 19 funds will be frozen pending the “actual” travel expenses submission. See below the Travel Guidelines:
VR Chapter 19 Funds Travel Advance Guidelines –
(In addition to what is listed below. Travel Advance is NOT applicable to HAVA funding.)
- Travel advances must be received for each traveler and will be approved, on a case-by-case basis.
- Travel advance funding will not be made for meals, hotel taxes or miscellaneous expenses.
- All travel advancement requests must complete an “actual” travel request within 30 days of completion of travel.
- The county will be held to the state lodging, mileage, and per diem rates or the county rates, whichever is less.
- Mileage: Calculate the number of miles traveled by using your vehicle odometer reading or the approved MapQuest mapping website time the current rate per mile.
- All reimbursements are limited to the actual cost of meals. Important: County will need to keep travel receipts.
- Claims may not include: alcoholic beverages, tips, room service, or expenses for any person other than the traveler.
- Claims may only be made for travel outside of the traveler’s headquartering city.
In-State Meals and Lodging
Refer to the GSA’s federal Domestic Maximum Per Diem Rates.
For areas not listed (city or county), the rates are:
Out-of-State Meals and Lodging
Refer to the GSA’s federal Domestic Maximum Per Diem Rates.For areas not listed, use the rate for the nearest city or county.
|Applicable Mileage Rates|
Information/documentation to be retained for audit (Keep Your Receipts)
- Departure City
- Arrival City
- Date of Departure
- Date of Return
- Meals (per diem)
- Air Fare
- Auto Rental
- Auto Rental Gasoline
- Lodging - check-out document reflecting zero balance due
- Registration Fee
- Parking fees incurred for personal vehicle or car rental
- Taxi fares - date, destination, and amount